My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.racerhino.com
and update your bookmarks.

4/18/10

Chile Verde













I was not going to post this recipe mostly because I plan to make it differently next time.  This was a learning experience for me, and the end result was very tasty.  So, I decided to post along with my notes and some of the corrections I plan to make next time I whip up some Chile Verde.  I was inspired by Bobby Flay's Green Chile recipe and followed it loosely. 

Learning how to make your own Chile Verde is a great recipe to have under your belt.  Mostly because it is so cheap to make and it's not bad for you.  You could make this with a lean pork tenderloin and yield beautiful results.  This is another recipe where having homemade chicken stock in the freezer comes in really handy.  It lowers the cost and ups the flavor.   

Ingredients:
  • 4 jalapenos
  • 4 cloves of garlic, not peeled
  • 2 lbs tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and halved
  • 4 lbs pork shoulder, diced into 1-2 inch cubes
  • 3 red onions, chopped
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Flour, to dredge the pork
  • 4 Tbsp canola oil
  • 2 cups chicken stock (scratch is best, good store brand will do)
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped














Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl add the chopped tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic cloves, and toss with 2 Tablespoons of the canola oil.  Transfer the tomatillos, jalapenos, and garlic cloves to a foil lined baking sheet.  Place the tomatillos flesh side down.  Add the chopped onion to the same large mixing bowl, toss with the remaining canola oil, and spread them evenly over a foil lined baking sheet. 

The reason I do not mix the onions with the tomatillos, jalapenos, and garlic is because after I roast them I only want to put the tomatillos, jalapenos, and the garlic in the blender.

I then roasted the vegetables for about 15 minutes.  I noticed the tomatillos were releasing lots of liquid and not getting browned.  I removed the onions and the tomatillos from the oven and then set the tomatillos under the broiler for a few minutes.  This yielded the result I was looking for.  Next time I make this dish I will only broil the tomatillos and blend them with the raw peppers in the blender.  Also next time I will not roast the onions, I will saute them in my pot and remove them before browning the meat. 












After you roast/broil the tomatillos, peppers, and garlic let them cool.  Once they are cool remove the skin from the garlic, and then transfer them into a blender.  Set sauce aside.

Heat a large stock pot or sauce pan over medium heat.  Dredge the pork in the flour (next time I plan not to dredge the meat in flour).  Add one layer of pork to the pot, work in batches and brown the meat.  Please note that the meat will not be fully cooked, just browned.  Remove all the meat from the pot and add 1 cup of chicken stock.  Reduce the stock down by half and scrape all the bits from the bottom of the pan.  Return the pork to the pan along with onions, cinnamon stick and Chile Verde sauce.  If the meat is not covered in sauce add stock till the meat is fully covered.  Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 3 hours, or until the meat is tender.  After it has simmered for about an hour and a half remove the cinnamon stick.  When you are ready to serve stir in cilantro, reserve some for garnish. 














Serve with warm flour tortillas, enjoy!

So, next time I make this I plan on using 1 1/2 pounds of tomatillos and broil them.  Blend the tomatillos with raw chilies for more heat.  Saute the onions in the stock pot before browning the meat.  Finally I will not dredge the meat in flour, just season it will kosher salt and pepper before browning it.

5 comments:

Lazaro Cooks said...

Wonderful informative post. Love the chile verde big bold flavors! Cheers!

cuppy said...

Well, I hope you didn't O.D. on tomatillos - this month's challenge has a lot, too! ;)

Whenever I have tomatillos, I always grill them on the barbecue. And if there are other peppers or onions or tomatoes, I throw them on there at the same time. It's like toasting your spices: you get a whole 'nother level of flavor. I think this recipe sounds like a great combination, though. Mmm... chili...

Amy Lucille said...

Hey Cuppy! I really wanted to grill them, but I live in an apartment and grilling on the balcony is a fire code no no. Next time I will broil or use a grill pan. Oh and never fear I could never OD on tomatillos!

Dewi said...

Amy, which butcher shop in Los gatos did you go? I go to LG pretty often, so it will be nice to know. Anyway, you did well. Your steak and kidney pudding look superb.
Cheers,
elra

Amy Lucille said...

This is the link, http://www.losgatosmeats.com/

It's right on University Avenue.

Post a Comment