My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.racerhino.com
and update your bookmarks.

3/17/10

Corned Beef and Cabbage












Growing up, Corned Beef and Cabbage was something I never looked forward to eating.  To this day I won't eat boiled cabbage, I mean if I am someones guest I will be polite and try to find the smallest piece to put on my plate.  My mom often made sauteed cabbage, we would eat it with polish sausage.  I could deal with cabbage cooked this way and in fact I actually enjoyed it.  The flavor of the browned cabbage with the onions and garlic is just so yummy.  This is one of those dishes that tastes better the next day.  So it sure comes in handy if you need to make dinner ahead of time. 

After doing some research I decided to bake my Corned Beef.  I really liked this recipe here and I decided to simplify it.  Boiling just did not sound good to me so I skipped that part, and I had some yummy apricot jam in my refrigerator so I decided to use that as well.  This is one of those days, I looked in my pantry..  Went to the store and picked up a Corned Beef and a head of Cabbage.  Everything else was on hand.  My $10.00 Corned Beef and Cabbage was born, and it was delicious. 

Corned Beef Ingredients:
  • 3-4 pound Corned Beef
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tbsp apricot jam
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
Sauteed Cabbage Ingredients:
  • ½ head of green cabbage, sliced
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 3 gloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly grated pepper
  • 1 Tbsp flour
Corned Beef Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Set one rack in the middle and the other under the broiler.  Mix together the Dijon mustard and apricot jam.  Set corned beef fat side up on a large piece of heavy duty foil.  Spread all but 2 Tbsp of  the mustard and jam mixture.  Sprinkle the top of the roast with the brown sugar.

















Take another piece of foil and place it over the top of roast creating a pouch over the top.  Make sure the foil pouch is set up to catch the juices and not leak them while the corned beef bakes.  I ran out of heavy duty foil so I had to use regular foil and double it up, my foil package is a little sloppy ;)











Place corned beef in a shallow roasting pan and bake for 2 hours.

















After the two hours is up, take corned beef out of the foil, spread the remaining jam and mustard over the top and broil for three minutes.  Let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.  Serves 4-6 people.

Sauteed Cabbage Method:

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onions and garlic; dust them with some kosher salt to help them cook down.  Cook them for about 5 minutes then add the cabbage, stir every couple of minutes.  Don't over mix it though, you want the cabbage to get browned in the bottom of the saute pan.  If you don't see brown bits at the bottom of the pan you are stirring it to much.














The cabbage will begin to soften and cook down after about 15-20 minutes. Add the flour, cook for another 3 minutes.  Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serves 3 people.  This recipe can be doubled to feed 6.

0 comments:

Post a Comment